Author Topic: Goodbye, Periplum!  (Read 5499 times)

David Lanoue

• View Profile
Goodbye, Periplum!
« on: August 14, 2011, 06:17:50 PM »
I don't have an i-pod that can download apps, but my girlfriend Kathleen does. Yesterday, at my behest, she downloaded the free "THF Haiku" app, and we started playing with it. The very first haiku that appeared on the little screen was Ami Tanaka's "Atom Heart Mother" poem. Followers of Periplum, from its first year as a blog and through its second year as a forum, will remember this haiku and all the fun we had puzzling over its many layers of possible meaning and feeling.

But all good things must come to an end. And, incidentally, all bad things must also come to an end. I won't dare speculate which kind of thing this blog-turned-forum has been. I only know, I don't have time for it in the near future. The book that I'm trying to write, about Issa's animals, has stalled halfway through chapter one, the frogs. I need to get past froggies and on to chapter two, sparrows!

Which means, I must take a long, perhaps permanent, sabbatical from Periplum. I hope that someone will volunteer to continue keeping the conversation going. For now, I bid you all a fond farewell.

Thanks for tuning in!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 06:20:56 PM by David Lanoue »

sandra

• View Profile
Re: Goodbye, Periplum!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 09:46:04 PM »
Hi David,

Sorry to see you go (and maybe Periplum with it) but quite understand the pressure of work thing. I seem to lurch from one project to another in quick succession.

I'll look forward to reading the book when it comes out.

I have learned much from the dicusssions on Periplum (even if I haven't understood all of it :) , including taking myself off on to avenues of research that I might not otherwise have traversed. It's helped my development as a writer.

With all best wishes,
Sandra

Gabi Greve

• View Profile
    • World Kigo Database
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 10:13:43 PM »
Good luck with Issa and the anmials,
keep us in loop with your progress!

And thanks for your efforts with Periplum.

Gabi

AlanSummers

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 03:48:49 AM »
Good luck David.

If the book is a struggle then it must mean it's going to be even better than you thought it would be! ;-)

Alan

Don Baird

• View Profile
    • Living Haiku Anthology
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 09:32:10 AM »
Best wishes for you, David.  Your journey into the world of Issa is meant to be - a natural connection of pysche.  I enjoyed your frog presentation at the HNA very much.  It's clear your path is in front of you which therefore is understandable that the periplum is not.  I anticipate your book with ... "anticipation"!  ;)

Wonderful meeting you and many blessings to you as you proceed in your work.  The book will be a humdinger; I'm positive about that!

all the best,

Don
ps: don't forget to pop in on the THF from time to time. And, keep us posted on the book.  Take care.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 09:53:24 AM by Don Baird »
I write haiku because they're there ...

through
the hole of a cheerio,
spring!

Don Baird

• View Profile
    • Living Haiku Anthology
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 01:01:08 PM »
Hi everyone.  As David will no longer have time to respond to this activity, we are opting to lock the thread to preserve its integrity for future members to read over and ponder.  This has been a wonderful journey for all involved; and, challenging. 

David has done a fabulous job and I know we all greatly appreciate his efforts.

Thanks to all for your participation, ideas and inspirations.

On another note, we are looking for a leader of the seashell game.  Please contact me if interested.

best to all and especially to David on the journey of writing his new book!

Don

I write haiku because they're there ...

through
the hole of a cheerio,
spring!