Author Topic: Books  (Read 1444 times)

flowerfox

• View Profile
Books
« on: January 24, 2019, 02:39:03 AM »
I'm not new to the site, but would still like to enquire about a specific topic.

Could anyone recommend a modern or contemporary collection of haiku and related forms about death.
Yes, death poems. I would just like to read them for inspiration.

Thank you.

AlanSummers

• View Profile
    • Call of the Page
Re: Books
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 05:57:54 AM »
Hi Carol,

I think Robert Epstein is the go-to guy for this topic, here's the current in print anthologies:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Robert+Epstein+haiku

Alan

I'm not new to the site, but would still like to enquire about a specific topic.

Could anyone recommend a modern or contemporary collection of haiku and related forms about death.
Yes, death poems. I would just like to read them for inspiration.

Thank you.

flowerfox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 10:09:28 AM »
Thank you for your help Alan, I've ordered the book you have recommended, I just know it will be what I am looking for.

Many thanks

flowerfox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 11:53:50 PM »
Received the book, Haiku Days of Remembrance - Robert Epstein.

I know many people skip the beginning of a book and dive straight into the main pages, the poetry within this book are heartfelt and understandable, but please read the 'preface' this reading gives a deeper meaning to the poems.

Our senses bring memories flooding back of friends and family that have left us, after reading the preface and then this verse-

sundown
I listen harder
for birdsong
Robert Epstein

Wonderful.

AlanSummers

• View Profile
    • Call of the Page
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 04:15:48 AM »
That's a good point Carol! I always love to read any introductory piece, be it preface, foreword, blurbs, introduction, as they often help us when reading the pieces as a whole.

And if you want to, maybe put in your informative commentary that you've posted here onto Amazon, maybe do that?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Haiku-Days-Remembrance-Honor-Father/dp/1732502307/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1548929526&sr=8-1&keywords=Robert+Epstein+haiku

Just a thought! I try to leave mini-reviews when I can, as so many books aren't really haiku, and it must be a nightmare for anyone not a regular reader of haiku.

Alan

I know many people skip the beginning of a book and dive straight into the main pages, the poetry within this book are heartfelt and understandable, but please read the 'preface' this reading gives a deeper meaning to the poems.

Our senses bring memories flooding back of friends and family that have left us, after reading the preface and then this verse-

sundown
I listen harder
for birdsong
Robert Epstein

Wonderful.

bobwhitmire

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 09:02:28 AM »
Not all haiku, but Japanese Death Poems, compiled by Yoel Hoffman, opened my eyes.

https://tinyurl.com/yafe5qp2

~ Bob

flowerfox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 11:48:44 AM »
That's a good point Carol! I always love to read any introductory piece, be it preface, foreword, blurbs, introduction, as they often help us when reading the pieces as a whole.

And if you want to, maybe put in your informative commentary that you've posted here onto Amazon, maybe do that?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Haiku-Days-Remembrance-Honor-Father/dp/1732502307/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1548929526&sr=8-1&keywords=Robert+Epstein+haiku

Just a thought! I try to leave mini-reviews when I can, as so many books aren't really haiku, and it must be a nightmare for anyone not a regular reader of haiku.

Alan

sundown
I listen harder
for birdsong
Robert Epstein

Wonderful.

I will do that this evening, thank you for the nudge and introducing me to a wonderful book. I've read some of your reviews when I do a search for haiku books...eloquent, and penned by one who knows what he is on about.
I'm still a green novice at this genre, but I do know I've purchased and read some of the 'not haiku' books.
I'm hanging out with the right people in this forum :)

flowerfox

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 11:53:13 AM »
Not all haiku, but Japanese Death Poems, compiled by Yoel Hoffman, opened my eyes.

https://tinyurl.com/yafe5qp2

~ Bob

Thanks for the link' Bob. I've seen this book when I first joined THF site. I'll take another look this evening when I post my review.
Many thanks, again.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 11:56:56 AM by flowerfox »

AlanSummers

• View Profile
    • Call of the Page
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 06:10:36 AM »
Thanks Carol, I've just clicked that the review was helpful! :-)

When I had more time years ago I started going through authentic books of haiku, doing reviews, and it is easy to do a one or two line review, so inspired to do a few more. It really does help. So many people, including myself back in the 1990s, were tricked into buying something horribly done in both its physical appearance, as well as contents. The more quick reviews we can all do means more people won't have their good money wasted.

flowerfox

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 01:33:06 PM »
Many thanks, Alan.
In my haste I forgot to mention the cover art 'Empty' by Ron C Moss a captivating piece of art on it's own, but so integral to the poems.

I know what you mean in your last paragraph, I've purchased some (and after having your guidance and help in the forum) awful collections in my need to learn.
Being here, has made me more selective.