Author Topic: Haiku at Slimbridge  (Read 863 times)

AlanSummers

• View Profile
    • Call of the Page
Haiku at Slimbridge
« on: March 09, 2019, 08:28:12 AM »
Booking is now open for Haiku at Slimbridge; a visit to the famous wildlife sanctuary in Gloucestershire, in the south west of England, where Call of the Page will be holding a haiku poetry workshop and ginko on April 6th 2019.

More information about the event at Slimbridge Wetland Centre: https://www.callofthepage.org/events/haiku-at-slimbridge/

AlanSummers

• View Profile
    • Call of the Page
Re: Haiku at Slimbridge
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 12:01:57 PM »

SALE: Bring a Friend!! Two places, with the second half price!  :)
https://www.callofthepage.org/events/haiku-at-slimbridge/

For anyone attending our Call of the Page ginko events and writing a poem or two, haiku will be considered for a special book later this year!  8)

flowerfox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 12:38:02 PM »
The workshop at Slimbridge was, and will remain, a memorable day.
Our hosts Karen and Alan made us feel at ease and encouraged us to pass constructive comments on
the haiku presented, not only at the workshop, at this outstanding venue, but those who submitted, for the event, from other parts of the world, online.
What an experience.
Many thanks to those present at the workshop, and the unseen people who were with us in the spirit of haiku.

Low Bow  :)

AlanSummers

• View Profile
    • Call of the Page
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 04:00:01 AM »
Dear Carol,

On behalf of Karen and myself, thank you! It was an incredible day, and fantastic that you could lend your farming seasons experience and more for our American ginko colleague too!

The spirit of Wales was embraced both on that day, and the day we got back, after a very long day of bus rides as the trains were not working! :-)

Thank you so much for being there, and such an integral part of the day, and for your friendship and kindness, and giving so much to the walk and the workshop.

To be overlooking Sir Peter Scott's house and surrounded by his vision made true, and also his paintings, was awesome wasn't it! :-)

warm regards,
Alan
https://www.callofthepage.org

Our hosts Karen and Alan made us feel at ease and encouraged us to pass constructive comments on
the haiku presented, not only at the workshop, at this outstanding venue, but those who submitted, for the event, from other parts of the world, online.
What an experience.
Many thanks to those present at the workshop, and the unseen people who were with us in the spirit of haiku.

Seaview

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SeaviewWarrenpoint
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 11:51:10 PM »
Sounds like a wonderful afternoon!

flowerfox

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 12:46:50 AM »

I certainly was, hopefully there'll be another.

flowerfox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 01:01:03 AM »
Dear Carol,

On behalf of Karen and myself, thank you! It was an incredible day, and fantastic that you could lend your farming seasons experience and more for our American ginko colleague too!

The spirit of Wales was embraced both on that day, and the day we got back, after a very long day of bus rides as the trains were not working! :-)

Thank you so much for being there, and such an integral part of the day, and for your friendship and kindness, and giving so much to the walk and the workshop.

To be overlooking Sir Peter Scott's house and surrounded by his vision made true, and also his paintings, was awesome wasn't it! :-)

warm regards,
Alan

What an experience.

It certainly was awesome. Walking into the workshop room was an amazing experience, all those birds/sounds, with a backdrop of beautiful countryside and the hills in the distance.
There was mention of Sir Peter's house being opened as a museum. The gallery of windows overlooking the lakes would give an inspiring view for artists and poets alike, I'm thinking haiga workshop, if the house opens to the public. Just to see his paintings and to read his words would be brilliant day out.

AlanSummers

• View Profile
    • Call of the Page
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 04:29:43 AM »
Thanks Marion, Carol,

It was a wonderful time, and the weather was almost too good. :-)

It was also great that one of our overseas course participants could be included in feedback, and that others from the newsletter could send in examples of haiku (and tanka), that we wrote up onto the flipchart.

Alan

I certainly was, hopefully there'll be another.

AlanSummers

• View Profile
    • Call of the Page
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 04:35:37 AM »
Thanks Carol!

We were certainly blown away by the sheer window frontage of the workshop room, and not only see but hear and feel so many birds, and even our backs turned or heads down the fleeting shadows gave us even more.

re haiga (and also shahai) watch this space.  ;)

We have another ginko in the works, but it will be quite different!  8)

Also we intend to run a ginko or two from Chippenham as it has one of the longest river walks in England, plus we are only two minutes from one end, and the train station is only two minutes from the park that runs into the meadow behind our house, yet we are very much in an urban town if walking  in another direction, all good! :-)

warm regards,
Alan

It certainly was awesome. Walking into the workshop room was an amazing experience, all those birds/sounds, with a backdrop of beautiful countryside and the hills in the distance.
There was mention of Sir Peter's house being opened as a museum. The gallery of windows overlooking the lakes would give an inspiring view for artists and poets alike, I'm thinking haiga workshop, if the house opens to the public. Just to see his paintings and to read his words would be brilliant day out.

Dear Carol,

warm regards,
Alan

What an experience.

flowerfox

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 11:49:08 PM »
The weather can never be too good, Alan :) both class events have been great, we've all been very fortunate the weather was with us, although an atmospheric day could add to the experience.

A ginko with a difference, I'll be looking for the post.

AlanSummers

• View Profile
    • Call of the Page
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 04:28:39 AM »
I still remember the ginko with Martin Lucas that was a downpour from start to finish yet oddly we stayed out longer than any ginko I've known. This was despite a park wildlife centre cafe just a couple of minutes away where we could have retired to sooner, with hot drinks, and discussion.

Plus I've enjoyed going out in snow blizzards for haiku and renga walks when working in Hull. :-)

Karen is beavering away designing new courses right now, but we are keen to put up the 'different kind of ginko' before too long. And also do get your Slimbridge verses together, and any that are not going to be submitted to journals, we'd be interested in seeing. :-)

In Chippenham we are very lucky as the train station is right by the park, down a one way side road. But we also have offroad parking spaces for two good sized cars or utes, and a meadow just 2-3 minutes slow stroll away that leads into other green areas. :-)

Alan

The weather can never be too good, Alan :) both class events have been great, we've all been very fortunate the weather was with us, although an atmospheric day could add to the experience.

A ginko with a difference, I'll be looking for the post.

flowerfox

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 10:16:02 AM »
 Well there must have been some fascinating things to see and hear, that day. I'm not adverse to the weather, but I just guess its because I'm out in the elements each day. When I scrub-up, I like to say that way  :) a rare occasion so I make the most of staying clean.

Snow blizzards! Man oh man, the things you artisans do for inspiration, and no doubt you took plenty of notes, somehow.

I'm looking forward to another ginko, I'm just hoping we won't be busy on the harvest when they come along.

It would be nice to come to Chippenham and take part in a nature walk, there, sounds a great place, and this time of year so much is growing, and plenty of insects etc.

Thank you for the interest in the Slimbridge haiku, I'm on the case:)