Author Topic: NFTG "On the Road"  (Read 5853 times)

colin stewart jones

• View Profile
    • serendipiku
NFTG "On the Road"
« on: June 27, 2012, 03:17:20 PM »

Haiku / Renga Weekend in Winchester

Sat 4th and Sun 5th of August

There is going to be a haiku / renga weekend at the
University of Winchester on Sat 4th and Sun 5th of August,

Sponsored by the University  and hosted by Mark Rutter, lecturer in Creative Writing and the poets of Notes From the Gean “On the Road” Alan Summers, Alison Williams, Colin Stewart Jones, and Andy Pomphrey.

There will be haiga and linked verse workshops and a ginko in the Winchester Watermeadows, where Keats wrote ‘To Autumn.’

All events except the ginko will be held in Stripe Studio 2, in the Stripe Building, University of Winchester.

•   Saturday August 4th: 10am: We will meet in Stripe Studio 2, followed by a ginko in the Winchester water meadows (bring camera as well as writing pad, pen, etc and dress for the weather).

•   Sunday August 5th: Stripe Studio 2: morning: haiga workshop; afternoon: renga workshop.

All events are free and all are welcome!

bear us in mind for your work

Colin Stewart Jones
Editor
Notes from the Gean: monthly haiku journal

www.geantreepress.com

AlanSummers

• View Profile
    • Call of the Page
Re: NFTG "On the Road"
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 02:24:41 PM »
These events are free to everyone.  The event is in the South of England twixt SW England and SE England, but also close to Bristol International Airport! :-)

Haiku/Renga Weekend
There is going to be a haiku/renga weekend at the University of Winchester on Sat 4th and Sun 5th of August, sponsored by the University and hosted by Mark Rutter and the poets of Notes From the Gean on the Road: Alan Summers, Alison Williams, Colin Stewart Jones, and Andy Pomphrey.

There will be haiga (haiku and image) and linked verse workshops and a ginko (haiku walk) in the Winchester watermeadows, where Keats wrote ‘To Autumn.’  All events except the ginko will be held in Stripe Studio 2, in the Stripe Building, University of Winchester.

Saturday August 4th: 10am: We will meet in Stripe Studio 2, followed by a ginko in the Winchester water meadows (bring camera as well as writing pad, pen, etc).
    Sunday August 5th: Stripe Studio 2: morning: haiga workshop; afternoon: renga workshop.

Come and meet the British-based Notes from the Gean editors Colin Stewart Jones, Alison Williams, Andy Pomphrey, and Alan Summers.

FFi:
University of Winchester weblink:
http://www.winchester.ac.uk/ACADEMICDEPARTMENTS/ENGLISHCREATIVEWRITINGANDAMERICANSTUDIES/NEWSANDEVENTS/Pages/NewsandEvents.aspx

The Winchester Watermeadows haiku walk will be a stunning opportunity to walk where Keats wrote 'To Autumn' and also take part in a traditional Japanese custom in haiku poetry.

Saturday August 4th: 10am: We first meet in Stripe Studio 2, followed by a ginko in the Winchester water meadows (bring camera as well as writing pad, pen, etc).

Come and join us.

AlanSummers

• View Profile
    • Call of the Page
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 03:43:09 AM »
There's been a lot of interest in this event, both in the U.K. and from overseas.

I have put up two images of the Stripe Studio as they are not easily found on the official university website:
http://area17.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/university-of-winchester-and-notes-from.html

The university is interested in a literary record of this weekend, so I do encourage all U.K. residents who are able timewise, and financially, to come along for one or both days, to consider that opportunity.

Also it will form part of a special feature in the Notes from the Gean magazine.

Alan

Chase Gagnon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 05:50:09 PM »
What state is this event in?  :o

Oh, The UK. can't drive there :'(
well, traveling from Alaska to one of the lower 48  isn't to easy either. lol.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 05:53:27 PM by Chase Fire »

AlanSummers

• View Profile
    • Call of the Page
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 04:03:03 PM »
That's right, it was in the South West of England, U.K. :-)

Shame you couldn't come over.  We had a great time and it was great to catch up with friends from Maine (USA) and talk about Stephen King and Hollywood too.

Alan

What state is this event in?  :o

Oh, The UK. can't drive there :'(
well, traveling from Alaska to one of the lower 48  isn't to easy either. lol.

Chase Gagnon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 10:58:43 PM »
how often do these events happen? i would love to come one day  :)

AlanSummers

• View Profile
    • Call of the Page
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 04:12:03 AM »
Hi Chase,

I don't know if a U.S. event would be better situated for you distance wise?  What's your nearest city?

But between Col and myself re Notes from the Gean I hope to do at least two live events next year of this kind, in fact it could be three events, as we may well repeat Winchester: http://www.geantreepress.com

If you are planning to come over, there's also the annual Spring Conference by the British Haiku Society:
http://britishhaikusociety.org.uk/category/events/

Under my With Words hat I do a mix of private and public events, and I might be reviving one of my big projects down south (U.K.).  My own blog announces public events, as well as any events with other organisations: http://area17.blogspot.com

It'll be great to see you come over.  We've had renga poets come over from Vancouver, Canada, just to do a kasen at Bath Spa Train Station with me, and a few others, and that's pretty far. :-)

Alan

how often do these events happen? i would love to come one day  :)

Chase Gagnon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 01:48:08 PM »
Alan, I think I'll be coming over in the spring :) And Ive been moving from Alaska and Ohio/Michigan boarder at least twice a year (for family reasons) so I really don't know where I'll be in the spring. either Anchorage or Toledo. So for planning purposes it will actually be easier to go to the UK lol. I'm really excited to go  :)

AlanSummers

• View Profile
    • Call of the Page
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 01:56:32 PM »
Hi Chase,

That would be great!

Keep in touch as I'll be personally running various With Words haiku and renku events through 2013, including The Kigo Lab, and other projects, plus Notes from the Gean on the Road will be doing a couple or more big festivals next year.

Keep in touch, and if you do have definite months/dates in the Spring let me know by email.

regards,

Alan

Alan Summers
[email protected]
Alan, I think I'll be coming over in the spring :) And Ive been moving from Alaska and Ohio/Michigan boarder at least twice a year (for family reasons) so I really don't know where I'll be in the spring. either Anchorage or Toledo. So for planning purposes it will actually be easier to go to the UK lol. I'm really excited to go  :)

Chase Gagnon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 10:42:38 AM »
Alan, since NFTG is no longer a publication, that means no more nftg on the road? :(

AlanSummers

• View Profile
    • Call of the Page
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 01:34:33 PM »
Alas no.

But if you are coming over to England, I'm often running events, some of them are public too. 

Alan, since NFTG is no longer a publication, that means no more nftg on the road? :(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk