Author Topic: Call for Submissions: An Anthology of English-Language Haiku by Women  (Read 8075 times)

Aubrie

Hullo, all, please see below the call for submissions of an anthology I am editing.

-Aubrie Cox

-------

Call for Submissions: An Anthology of English-Language Haiku by Women

Seeking haiku and senryu for an anthology focusing on excellent English-language haiku by women around the world. Ladies, send 5-15 of your best haiku, published or unpublished, to: <paperlanternhaiku@gmail.com>. With your submission, please include your name, country, a brief bio of 150 words or less, and any applicable publication credits of submitted poems. Nominations of poets and individual poems are also welcome, and strongly encouraged. Deadline: April 15.

It had come to my attention when searching that there is not anthology of just women's English-language haiku (none that I've found anyway). With such prolific and powerful women writers within the English-language community, they deserve a space/recognition of their own.

Aubrie

Re: Call for Submissions: An Anthology of English-Language Haiku by Women
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 11:08:45 AM »
About one week left to submit! So far have received a little over 110 sets of submissions from about 17 different countries. Still haven't seen much from a lot of the US poets.

AlanSummers

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 04:57:29 PM »
Sorry to harp on, the call out here and at Facebook got a lot of responses, but curiously very quiet on the American front.

Now last time I looked, I thought there were a heck of a lot of fine American women writing haiku, here and elsewhere. ;-)

Only a week and a wee bit left to the deadline for this anthology that will be talked about for years!

From Aubrie Cox, editor

Call for Submissions: An Anthology of English-Language Haiku by Women

Seeking haiku and senryu for an anthology focusing on excellent English-language haiku by women around the world.

Ladies, send 5-15 of your best haiku, published or unpublished, to: <paperlanternhaiku@gmail.com>.

With your submission, please include your name, country, a brief bio of 150 words or less, and any applicable publication credits of submitted poems.

Nominations of poets and individual poems are also welcome, and strongly encouraged.

Deadline: April 15.

It had come to my attention when searching that there is not anthology of just women's English-language haiku (none that I've found anyway). With such prolific and powerful women writers within the English-language community, they deserve a space/recognition of their own.

Billie Wilson

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 06:01:14 PM »
Aubrie, I just sent out the notice to a whole bunch of women, and will try to send more later.  I was surprised to learn that so many of my haiku friends had not seen the notice.  So maybe it would be a good idea for all of us to "make sure" through personal e-mails.

Many thanks!

Aubrie

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 06:32:43 PM »
Thank you both! It's much appreciated.

Yes, time to start emailing/re-emailing folks!

AlanSummers

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 05:53:12 AM »
I second Billie and Aubrie.

Although the anthology has been widely promoted in some areas, often personal emails work really well too.

The more stunning women haiku writers in the anthology then the better the anthology is for everyone.

I already know a top British/American poet who is resident in the U.K. and renowned for mainstream formalist and experimental poetry has sent in haiku.  She's well known in haiku circles and you'll be seeing more of her in the future.

She'll also include it in her readings around the world including the States and Europe, so please get all the good women haiku writers out there sending work in.

This is going to be an incredible anthology!

Alan

AlanSummers

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 12:02:06 PM »
I would be so proud if ALL the women newcomers to haiku that have participated in the THF forum discussions got published in this anthology! ;-)

I expect all the seasoned women writers to be present in the anthology, as long as they remember to submit in time of course. ;-)

Good luck everyone!

Alan

Aubrie

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 06:11:55 PM »
One week left!

I want to make a special note, since I've been getting some questions on it:

YES, SENRYU ARE WELCOME!

<3
Aubrie

Julie B. K.

• View Profile
    • Stars in my Sugar Bowl
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 06:43:30 PM »
Hi Aubrie:

Have you sent notices out on Twitter?  There's a wonderful community of short form poets on Twitter.  I tweeted the call for submissions to a friend of mine, but perhaps if a few more of us with Twitter accounts took the time to post about your anthology, we could encourage more poets to submit.

Julie B. K.
@MamaJoules on Twitter

Aubrie

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 06:46:01 PM »
Julie,

Thanks for the suggestion! I always forget Twitter exists, especially since I have mine blocked to the public.

We can also use this link for info about the anthology: http://yaywords.wordpress.com/projects/anthology-of-haiku-and-senryu-by-women/

AlanSummers

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 04:40:11 AM »
Only seven days left to the deadline! ;-)

Aubrie

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 03:58:29 PM »
Since my last update of 110, closing in on 180 submissions!

AlanSummers

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 06:18:17 PM »
Wow!

And more coming in from people I've contacted too!

I bet it reaches 200 or more which will be a fantastic acheivement, and an amazing social document of haiku from the mid-to-late 20th Century right up to new work, and recently published work this month!

Still six days for more submissions from anyone who hasn't done so yet! ;-)

Alan

Aubrie

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 12:17:28 AM »
Most definitely. I know some people who definitely intend to submit--I've been email and dropping hints, etc. As always, thanks for all your work in promoting, Alan!

I fully expect it to reach over 200—over the last 24 hours alone I've received 25 submissions, and the day before was about the same. Hip hip hoorah for social networking?

It's been a grand variety of work. Of course, Alan's right--still more time yet!