Author Topic: Very Sad News: Cindy Zackowitz  (Read 4396 times)

Billie Wilson

• View Profile
Very Sad News: Cindy Zackowitz
« on: October 01, 2012, 11:27:42 AM »
Dear Friends,

It is with great sadness that I let you know that Alaska poet Cindy Zackowitz died at her home in Anchorage on September 23, 2012, at the age of 47.  Her haiku and her photography have been gifts, allowing us to see the outdoors she loved--especially Alaska--in a very special way.  Some of her haiku and photographs appear on various pages of the Alaska Haiku Society website -- http://home.gci.net/~alaskahaiku/index.html , and a memorial page will be created for the Haiku Registry soon.  Her haiku have also been featured for many years on the Tempes Libres/Free Times website at http://www.tempslibres.org/ and have regularly appeared in many haiku journals. 

Cindy and I, because we lived so far from each other, never met, but we were often in touch and  I count her as one of my dearest friends, I cannot imagine my haiku world without her.

birch seeds tumble
from the laundry bin—
end of the day

Cindy Zackowitz
The Heron's Nest  IX:1 (2007)

whale watching—
a distant cloud rains
into the sea

Cindy Zackowitz
The Heron's Nest VIII:2 (2006)

a mosquito
caught in my hair—
scent of pine

Cindy Zackowitz
The Heron's Nest VIII:2 (2006)

AlanSummers

• View Profile
    • Call of the Page
Re: Very Sad News: Cindy Zackowitz
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 11:30:43 AM »
What a horrid shock, and so young.   I knew Cindy back in the 1990s via haiku email sites, and often missed her presence on the internet in later years.

I am so sorry we've lost someone very special.

Alan

John McManus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 12:44:58 PM »
Thanks for posting this, Billie.

It is very sad to see someone so young and talented pass away. I have enjoyed many of Cindy's haiku over the past couple of years.

warmest,
John

Billie Wilson

• View Profile
Very Sad News: Cindy Zackowitz
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 03:03:47 PM »
Hello friends.  Just a note to let you know Cindy's memorial page is now completed for The Haiku Foundation's Haiku Registry http://www.thehaikufoundation.org/poet-details/?IDclient=1003.

In spite of the deep sadness, I've had a wonderful few hours this morning reading through most of Cindy's published work to find some favorites for the Registry.  Such a gift she had for seeing the possibility for a haiku and then finding just the right words in just the right rhythm. 

Missing her,
Billie

Ron Moss

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 05:11:23 PM »
Dear Billie,

Thank you for passing on the news of the loss of dear Cindy and setting up the memorial page.
I also remember many wonderful times conversing with Cindy online, and reading her fine work and seeing her lovely photography.

We will miss her spirit, but perhaps now she swims with the whales and has become what she wrote about so beautifully . . .

Deep bows,
Ron

Ron Moss

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 05:21:09 PM »
for Cindy

whale songs
beneath the stars
go on forever . . .

Ron C. Moss

Seaview (Marion Clarke)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SeaviewWarrenpoint
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 08:09:28 AM »
I've just been reading through some of Cindy's work. It is so sad to think that she's gone.

Chase Gagnon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 10:08:41 AM »
RIP...
I read some of her work, she was an amazing poet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk