Author Topic: education  (Read 3582 times)

colin stewart jones

• View Profile
    • serendipiku
education
« on: April 16, 2011, 12:59:02 AM »
Notes from the Gean

is pleased to announce that Don Baird will be our new education editor

we would like submissions that educate and expand on areas of thought
past, current  and future???
from within all  the haikai genres

col :)

Thanks Col  :)

More Details:            

Call for September Issue:  due date is June 30th

Subject:  Length of Lines in Haiku – The haiku form’s schemata.

I am looking for a submission on the subject of line length in haiku (English).  I would like it to address the differing thoughts in the haiku world regarding line length, including examples.  (S/L/S; S/S/L; etc.)  This column should touch on why the Japanese have a strong tendency to use 5/7/5 as their general basis, historically.

Subject:  One Line Haiku

I am calling for a submission to discuss the English Language One Line Haiku.  This treatment should include basic structures and examples with critique of the examples on why they work.  What makes them effective.  The article should be accessible intellectually to beginners.

Subject:  Renga

I am calling for an Introduction to Renga article. This should be a very basic approach that would keep beginning haiku poets in mind.  You can always allude to something more advanced but I’d prefer you keep the article to a basic level – beginner.

As we cover different topics and points of view we will also be developing a list of teachers who are interested in helping readers understand various aspects to writing these genres.  For this department, we are accepting all points of view from experienced, published poets.

Please query me first before writing your article.  That way we can remain on the same page and avoid a few problems before they arise.

I'm looking forward to having you aboard.  We have many topics that we would like to cover.

best to you,

Don

« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 11:40:52 PM by Don Baird »

bear us in mind for your work

Colin Stewart Jones
Editor
Notes from the Gean: monthly haiku journal

www.geantreepress.com

John McManus

• View Profile
Re: education
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 01:17:29 AM »
Very interesting stuff Col, and an excellent appointment to boot.

Warm regards,
John

Don Baird

• View Profile
    • Living Haiku Anthology
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 11:00:56 AM »
Hey gang,

I've completed Col's post on this subject.  So, please read it again.

It's very exciting and we're looking for experienced poets to become part of the team - as contributers.  I've posted three subjects this time around.  If you feel like you have a handle on any one of the subjects, please query me on your ideas and then write an article for consideration.  Thanks!

Call for September Issue:  due (cut-off) date is June 30th       Thank you.

Thanks for joining in.  I look forward to your queries and submissions.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 11:31:37 PM by Don Baird »
I write haiku because they're there ...

through
the hole of a cheerio,
spring!

Don Baird

• View Profile
    • Living Haiku Anthology
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 11:39:59 PM »
Please contact Colin directly for information regarding this program.  I had to make a decision to not be involved in it at this time.  Thanks so much for your great responses!!!  I appreciate it very much!

Take care,

Don

:)

( And no, there are no problems between Col and I. We've been friends for years and always will be.  I'm working on starting up a school of poetry for the Japanese arts of English language haiku, tanka, haiga and haibun.  A school is the direction I want to go.  This school will be developed for online studies.  I pioneered an online school of poetry of which I have managed and/or taught for over 7 years.  It is incredibly successful.  

I graduated from a 5 year program at UCLA with a major in Music and Education.  English comp was my minor - creative writing, not technical.  I've taught high school, masters classes for professional musicians, photography, martial arts and police defensive tactics for three different departments over a 35 year career.  I am a teacher through and through.  That is my passion and that is where I want to focus my energy, along with writing poetry, of course.  I will keep you all posted as there are many folks here I would love to have as teachers at the school)  don
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 11:41:39 PM by Don Baird »

through
the hole of a cheerio,
spring!

colin stewart jones

• View Profile
    • serendipiku
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 01:20:58 AM »
cheers don

good luck with the school

hoping to see many fine writers come from it

col :)

bear us in mind for your work

Colin Stewart Jones
Editor
Notes from the Gean: monthly haiku journal

www.geantreepress.com

Don Baird

• View Profile
    • Living Haiku Anthology
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 01:55:53 AM »
Thanks Col,

You'll be the first to know!  I have the name.  Now, the work! (website design) UGH  LOL  Your turn to teach, man!

Don
 8)

through
the hole of a cheerio,
spring!

cat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 05:13:16 AM »
Good luck with your school, Don.

You are an amazing teacher and a visionary so I know it will do very well.

cat
"Nature inspires me. I am only a messenger."  ~Kitaro

Gael Bage

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 08:24:07 AM »
Lucky students! Best wishes with the new project Don.  ;D
Poetry is an echo, asking a shadow to dance
- Carl Sandburg

Don Baird

• View Profile
    • Living Haiku Anthology
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 10:47:08 AM »
Thanks Cat and Gael...

Much appreciated.  I will keep you posted.  I've been teaching online for over 7 years and have for 35 years plus (music/martial arts).  I really enjoy the interaction and the students' vigorous energy to learn.  It's always exciting for me to see them excel.

Col and Myron, both, have written assignments in the school I currently manage/teach.  If I recall, Col, came in very much a beginner.  He finished the assignments quickly and clearly had a bubbling well of talent.  He was interested in writing Christian Haiku (as I recall in my old brain) and we began chatting about the thought of writing much of the Bible in haiku structure.  I believe he did quite a bit of that (can't remember).  Myron popped in and wrote for the advanced class.  I almost never had anything to say regarding his writing - very sharp poet. He, like Col, also had (and has) a natural instinct for writing fabulous haiku.  They both often make me envious of their wonderul talents.

Fun times;  and, I'm looking for a lot more fun times in the future.  The school seems to be my next logical target.

all my best,

Don

ps ... (a side note) while I'm doing better these days, there is still no decision when a surgery on my left artery will (or if) be needed.  It's a birth defect of which the right side artery tried to kill me.  Crazy stuff.  But, thank you all for the kind notes and emails.  I appreciate it.

through
the hole of a cheerio,
spring!

Gael Bage

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 04:02:37 PM »
Don, good luck with the they do wonders these days, when I met my partner he had a heart defect from birth that caused his heart to suddenly beat uncontrollably fast ( 280 beats per min,) they lasered it and he has been fine since.  :)
Poetry is an echo, asking a shadow to dance
- Carl Sandburg

Don Baird

• View Profile
    • Living Haiku Anthology
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 11:08:12 PM »
Wow... cool story.  Thanks for sharing.

Don

through
the hole of a cheerio,
spring!

AlanSummers

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 05:27:21 AM »
Don, I hope things get better, you are one of the good guys!

Alan