Author Topic: How important is universal understanding?  (Read 5577 times)

Mojave

• View Profile
Re: How important is universal understanding?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 08:28:29 PM »
Thank you all so, so much!!! I picked up a book already, before you all posted your wonderful responses, but I will check out the others now too. I decided to go with a book that had the works of the 3 of the names you gave me, PGMB. I dont know if its any good but it had good reviews. Its called The Essential Haiku Versions of Basho, Buson, & Issa. Just got it in the mail today and havent started reading it yet, but Im going to start soon.

I am going to check out Amazon for some of the others. The pricey one might take me a while to get.  :)

AlanSummers

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2011, 06:42:37 AM »
Hi Erin,

Robert Hass's book Essential Haiku is one I really like and where I discovered that Issa wrote haibun. ;-)
Essential Haiku: http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Haiku-Versions-Basho-Buson/dp/0880013516

I believe it does have its flaws, but I love the translations.  It's always good to obtain a more recent book on classic haiku too, so it help can help correct any flaws in earier books.

But it's a good choice, and came out before more work from Chiyo-ni was translated, and when she finally became properly recognised as an expert of haikai too. ;-)

Alan

Mojave

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2011, 11:34:53 AM »
Thank you so much Alan! I will have more books on the way soon!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk