Author Topic: Questions on prior online publication & private forums  (Read 3332 times)

Mark E.

• View Profile
Questions on prior online publication & private forums
« on: April 26, 2011, 01:14:02 PM »
Hello,

I have recently begun submitting my haiku for publication and have noticed that several outlets will not accept material that has previously appeared on sites such as FaceBook and Twitter. Some of these outlets further say that they will accept submissions of haiku that have appeared on "private online forums."

My first question: Would The Haiku Foundation's "mentoring" site be considered a private online forum?

Second question: If in the revision process I change a word or two of one of my haiku that has appeared on a site like FaceBook (but otherwise keep the haiku unchanged) would it then be acceptible for me to submit the haiku?

Thanks in advance for the feedback...

Regards,

Mark E.

AlanSummers

Re: Questions on prior online publication & private forums
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 01:29:34 PM »
Dear Mark E.

Did you email George Swede of Frogpond about this?

My understanding since NaHaiWriMo when Mark Brooks of haijinx, supported by Michael Dylan Welch, challenged this Twitter and Facebook policy that it had since been amended.

Putting my haijinx hat on as a founding editor, we accept all good haiku that contain aspects of humor regardless of previous appearances.  It's the quality that matters.

There are several editors of magazines here, so I will be interested to hear their responses as well.

Like Mark and Michael I want to be able to read good haiku, and I don't always catch the haiku on Twitter unless it's on automated post to Facebook like Fay Aoyagi's work is.

I also don't love the Twitter format where single and double forward slashes are used to format haiku etc... so I would be keen to see quality haiku from Twitter and Facebook appearing in haiku magazines, otherwise, what's the point if good haiku are being overlooked?

Coming back to haijinx, both Mark Brooks and myself actively sought out quality haiku that suited the needs of haijinx re different levels and subleties of humor. 

There are NaHaiWriMo haiku through the pages of haijinx including articles and sections about the phenomenon : http://www.haijinx.org/IV-1/welcome.html

Enjoy!

Alan Summers

Hello,

I have recently begun submitting my haiku for publication and have noticed that several outlets will not accept material that has previously appeared on sites such as FaceBook and Twitter. Some of these outlets further say that they will accept submissions of haiku that have appeared on "private online forums."

My first question: Would The Haiku Foundation's "mentoring" site be considered a private online forum?

Second question: If in the revision process I change a word or two of one of my haiku that has appeared on a site like FaceBook (but otherwise keep the haiku unchanged) would it then be acceptible for me to submit the haiku?

Thanks in advance for the feedback...

Regards,

Mark E.

cat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 02:33:21 PM »
Hello, Mark,

The mentoring forum here at THF was made private was for just that reason -- so that haiku that were workshopped here could be submitted to the journals.  Some journals consider work that has appeared in the forums "published" and some don't -- most are pretty clear in their guidelines, so reading through those should give you a pretty good idea of which is which.

Here are some guidelines from a cross-section of journals:

ACORN says: "Posting to private online mailing lists and workshops is not considered prior publication; however, appearance in an edited online journal or a public forum, or posting on Facebook, Twitter or a personal blog, renders a poem ineligible for submission."

BOTTLE ROCKETS says: "No simultaneous, previously published material, and/or work that has "appeared" anywhere in the universe please for any reason. That means in newsletters, websites, e-zines, blogs, discussion groups, contests, programs, flyers, any thing you can possible think of. Even if it is printed somewhere and the editor of that publication doesn't consider it "published," WE DO. If it has "appeared in public" or been published, do not send it."

FROGPOND says:  "All submissions must be original, unpublished work that is not under consideration by a print or web-based journal. While posts on Internet sites such as Facebook or Twitter are eligible, posts on blogs are not."

THE HERON'S NEST says:  "The Heron’s Nest requires first publication rights, including first electronic rights, for work accepted. Poems that have been previously published in print or on the Internet, including publication on personal Web sites or blogs, public video and/or photo sites, and public forums, are not eligible for submission to our journal. Any work that can be found in a Web search is considered previously published."

NOTES FROM THE GEAN says: "All poems/artwork submitted to Notes From the Gean must be unpublished, either in print or electronically, and not under consideration elsewhere. Works that have been uploaded to sharing networks or blogs will be deemed as published and those that are work-shopped on closed forums will be considered as unpublished."

PRUNE JUICE says:  "Here at Prune Juice, we believe ‘previously published’ poems are those that have been previously selected for publication by another editor. Therefore, any work that you yourself have submitted to social networking sites, blogs and microblogs are still considered here at Prune Juice. In short, if your poem has only appeared publicly in your Twitter stream or on your personal blog, we will still consider it as we believe this is not considered as a previously published piece."

As you can see, there is a wide variety of opinions among the journals as to what constitutes "previously published".  Even if I had changed a word, I would not submit a haiku that had appeared on Twitter or Facebook to journals with guidelines like Acorn, Bottle Rockets, The Heron's Nest or Notes From the Gean.

Hope this helps.

cat

(Fixed a typo.)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 04:15:31 PM by cat »
"Nature inspires me. I am only a messenger."  ~Kitaro

Lorin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 03:42:55 PM »
Mark,
          Cat has given the state of play very well. The 'mentoring' section here at THF is members only, and not viewable by the general public, so the poems are not considered published.

What is 'published'? In the end it comes down to 'offered to the public/made accessible to the public'.

The various journals have their own guidelines. tinywords, for instance, accepts previously published work but you must note where and when the work was first published.

The majority of journals require 'first rights', that is: the author agrees that any work selected for publication will be first published in that particular journal. This has consequences if, for instance, your work is later requested for a reputable anthology or further publication of any kind, since it's the norm to cite first publication details.

(It's not necessary to cite all the subsequent publication details)

Frogpond
, Prune Juice and haijinx seem to be the exceptions.

Acorn has only recently revised its policy to exclude eligibility of work published on blogs, Facebook, Twitter or anywhere accessible to the public, so you might find a few haiku in the current issue that were accepted before this policy was put in place.

- Lorin

Don Baird

• View Profile
    • Living Haiku Anthology
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 01:03:36 AM »
This is a lot of great information.  Thanks for sharing.  I didn't realize there was such differences with every publication (I don't send out that often or to much variety ... just lazy, I guess :) ).

Very interesting and informative.

Thank you.

Don
I write haiku because they're there ...

through
the hole of a cheerio,
spring!

Mark E.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 08:06:49 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the information...