New to Haiku > New to Haiku: Free Discussion Area

Translating Basho : matsutake pine mushrooms

<< < (4/6) > >>

chibi575:
hodo that voodoo that you do so well...

Yes, if the hiragana is used "hodo" may become a pun, I feel, or at least leave the reader with a wide degree of meanings to chose.  The actual original Japanese would help, indeed.

Gabi san, do you have the original Japanese, I hope?

Gabi Greve:
Hi Alan,
the meaning of hodo is manifold and can be translated to other languages in many ways, depending on the context of the sentence  and the context of a haiku.

The links you quote cover the ground pretty well.

Hi Chibi san, we must have posted at the same time.

松茸やかぶれた程は松の形
matsutake ya kabureta hodo wa matsu no nari

I hope this helps.
Gabi

chibi575:
Thanks bunches!

Darn... I was hoping for a homophone (hey... I'm not punning on homophone).

程 means a limit or degree of.

kabureta (phonetics play to my ear is "carburetor"... my silly ears) かぶれた meaning to be swayed or enfluenced

matsutake!  (I'm going to use the Japanese word as even today these mushrooms are a grand find)
seems even more
pine shaped

This is simple and elegant as I feel Bashou's poetry during this phase was.  He repeats "matsu" (pine) in the first and last line as further emphasis on the pine name and shape.

chibi575:
Sorry... this is an aside but Gabi san, I hope the typhoon leaves with little bad effect in your area.

Let me say, take care, and without your efforts and skill (your English is superb as well as your Japanese, and you're a native German, you are a treasure and pardon my GUSH) I would be lost.

A thousand thanks.

Gabi Greve:
Thanks, Chibi san,

and one more remark on the kabureta ... it is used with the meaning of 

yabureta
笠の破れた辺りの模様, 破れた傘や笠 ( a tattered / broken ...   umbrella or rain hat)

http://www2.yamanashi-ken.ac.jp/~itoyo/basho/haikusyu/kabure.htm

Enjoy!

Gabi

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version